The LED has revolutionised the world of caravan lighting, providing superior power and space efficiency over traditional incandescent and fluorescent alternatives. We look at the types of outdoor lighting that go beyond 12V fairy lighting or the common outdoor lantern.
Wireless Remote LED Light Strip with Dimmer
This 1.2m strip of LEDs is just one of many available. It features radio remote control, meaning you don’t need line of sight to use it and – unlike many LED strip lights – it is dimmable. Strip lights can be mounted along awning structural members, wrapped around poles or even placed under the bottom ledge of your caravan for an ambient effect. Be aware that cheaper varieties are often not weather sealed and may require a bit of DIY weather sealing, depending on where you want to install them.
- Wireless remote control with 30m range.
- Can be run in tandem with a second unit.
- Flexible conduit can be mounted almost anywhere using velcro straps.
- Dimmable with a 5m power cable.
- Low power consumption.
- Waterproof IP68.
- Both 12V and 24V.
- Relatively expensive.
- Not as durable as other forms of lighting.
- Not portable.
45º 12V LED Awning Light
There are many options in the 12V awning light category. Due to its hard-shelled form, an awning light such as this is far more robust than any LED light strip. It is therefore better used as a permanent fixture. Casting light at a 45º angle with a 120º spread, this particular model will outperform most existing caravan awning lights, and its power consumption is relatively low. It’s waterproof with an IP67 rating and, because it uses existing wiring, it requires only basic DIY skills to install.
- IP67 waterproof rating.
- Casts 120º of spread at 45º.
- Design suits the look of most caravans.
- Limited mounting options.
Epak 6W Solar Light Kit
Ideal for the adventurer, this solar powered kit will run its two awning lights for up to eight hours. The included 2600mAh power box will recharge on either AC (nine hours) or solar (12 hours). It can even be used to recharge a smartphone or tablet when you’re away from base.
- Multiple recharge – solar, 240V AC or 12V DC.
- Up to eight hours of lighting.
- Fully portable.
- Can recharge a phone/tablet.
- Long recharge time of battery unit.
- Comparatively low lighting output.
Battery Powered Portable Fan and LED Light Combo
Whether you look at it as a fan with a built-in light or an LED light with a built-in fan, this combo is a rare sight. It’ll help maintain airflow on a hot day and help circulate rising warm air on cold nights.
- Fully portable – battery operated.
- LED light with built-in fan.
- Can be hook-mounted or table-mounted.
- Cooling in summer/circulates warm air in winter.
- Lower light performance.
Weatherproof Awning Light with Bluetooth Speaker
This manufacturer has integrated a bluetooth speaker into an awning light, meaning you can have light and music where you want it. Because the audio connects wirelessly, the only wiring required is your caravan’s existing 12V circuit, making this unit a handy choice for replacing an existing light fixture.
- Easy installation.
- Low-wind-drag form.
- Wireless, bluetooth audio.
- 10m bluetooth range.
- Two-way stereo speakers, 100W amplifier.
- May eventually fill with dust over time.
- A pricier lighting solution.
Thanks to the efficiency, flexibility and low price point of LEDs, there’s a lighting solution to suit your requirements and budget.
Note that all 12V electrical work may be carried out by anyone with a bit of knowledge and a few tools. However, did you know that a licensed electrician must complete all works on your caravan’s 240V circuit?